- Client: Australian Department of Defence / Department of Immigration
- Location: Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
- Sector: Federal Government
- Services: Project Management & Contract Administration, Project initiation, planning, implementation & closure management, Contractor Procurement, Contractor Management, Design Management, Construction Management & Site Supervision, project controls & quality inspections, Stakeholder Consultation, Program & Risk Management.
- Completion: July 2018
The Bomana War Cemetery is located in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea and is the largest war cemetery in the Pacific, containing approximately 3800 graves of Australian and Allied soldiers who fought in WWII. The cemetery is managed by the Australian Department of Veterans affairs (DVA) Office of Australian War Graves. This project involved replacing the cemetery irrigation system, as well as employing a local contractor to carry out a series of upgrades to the cemetery access road and carpark.
During this project, Wildara managed PNG contractors to ensure that works were completed on time and on budget. Also, Wildara travelled to Port Moresby, PNG to meet with the contractors and undertake quality control inspections of the works. Wildara has a great appreciation for the additional challenges that come with managing offshore projects and understands that liaising with the client and keeping them constantly updated is mandatory for project success.
- Highly changing political environment
- Managing contractors in remote areas
- Remote Project Delivery
- Cultural and language barriers
- Rapid Mobilisation
Project effectively delivered to meet the objectives set by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
“Wildara has project managed the Bomana Roads Works project to an exceptional standard. From project inception to complete sign off Wildara personnel have acted professionally in the oversight of this project.”
Richard Fulton – Senior Project Officer, PNG – Office of Australian War Graves